3 Ways Farmers Get Rid of Pests on the Farm
A farmer may choose any one, or a combination of these methods for dealing with threats to their crop:
- Crop rotation (changing the crops grown every year). This helps to prevent pests which may target one particular crop.
- Cover crops: Planting between a crop to suppress weeds or offer an environment that is not desirable to insects or diseases (e.g. planting clover between rows of fruit trees)
- Pest-resistant seeds (e.g. biotechnology products)
- Beneficial insects that attack pests.
- Field vacuums, screens or barriers, sticky boards, tilling weeds.97
- Insecticides (target insects), herbicides (target weeds), fungicides (targets diseases), and rodenticides (target rodents). There are both natural chemicals and synthetic chemicals available for use. A farmer will choose the option which meets the needs of his or her farm and production choice (e.g. organic or conventional).